Various Artists "Synthesizer Dance Volume 7"
Do you want to submit your own review? Please do! You can do this from the review submit page.
Review by Peter D
I don’t think that SD 7 is that crash hot. I own SD3-7 and this one is clearly the weakest. And the fact is true that there are freebies that are much better than the majority of the work here i.e. Galaxions Adventure, most of Electron’s work, Mark Vera’s tracks, even some of the tracks on SS.de are far better.
Here’s my track-by-track review.
1 Game of Love: Clearly the best track on the Album by a country mile and one of Marco’s finest. Beautiful synth melodies mixed with nice vococder singing. Very nice lyrics and well spoken by A.Nupponen. Just a shear delight to listen to.
2 No Remorse: To me the Alfmeister is one of the sleeping giants of this genre, talks a lot about everything but scarcely mentions anything about his music, but then again his music speaks for himself. What I like about his tunes is that he is redeveloping this genre in his own style, which I really like, and this song is no exception. Great Stuff!
3 Departure Gate: To be fair to MindXpander I enjoyed their early work, which was available on SS.de. Their work on the SD collection I’m not big fan of. To me it’s a bit too chaotic, not enough decent melodies, it’s just a bit too heavy and this song hasn’t really changed my opinion, not my type of music
4 Voyage to the Stars: Another one of the better songs on this album. It is a bit thin at times and I reckon it could do with a few overlapping melodies at times and more fill in but still very enjoyable. I ‘m sure the likes of Vera or Rochowski could tweak this up a bit and give it just a bit more variety of sounds.
5 It's Just the Music: To me Humphrey Robertson is a mixed bag, he is a hit or miss affair. Sometimes he can produce some amazing ideas and sounds and at other times well… it leaves a lot to be desired. On this occasion this hit rock bottom. A rather forgettable track (Sorry Humphrey, no offence!).
6 Titan Warriors: Another track that doesn’t disappoint. The Alfmeister once again produces the goods, beautiful melodies mixed with those fabulous sounds and atmosphere that we are getting to know him by. Great stuff.
7 Between the Asteroids: This is simply awful! I thought I was listening to trancemaster. This is not spacesynth. This is trance with minimal spacesynth elements. No melodies no spacey feel without question the worst track on this album. Don’t get me wrong you can have trance influence just look at Galaxion’s “Adventure” beautiful spacesynth incorporating trance, this is well not for me.
8 Bottes Vernal Dance: Poor man’s version of Protonic Storm or Jukke Lundqvist. I’ll give him credit that he is trying and that should be applauded but just lacks those melodies and atmosphere that the other two can do so effortlessly.
9 Time: This track is alright, but it lacks the variety of melodies and as result just doesn’t really have that much atmosphere. Basically Ok.
10 Space Town: This sounds too much like a cheap freebie, keeps relying on one strong melody too much. Thus is boring
11 In Cyber Space: Another decent track on this album. Am impressed by Jan Schipper definitely shows potential this sort reminds me a bit of Jay Vee’s better stuff on Return to Tarah Album. Good track.
12 Endless Trip: Humphrey’s best on this Album actually like this one. Typical spacesynth very easy on the ears Very nice.
Overall the Album is disappointing because there are only 5 good tracks out of 12. Sadly a lot of them sound like cheap freebies and compared to the other SD albums are not up to scratch.
Review by Klajunas
1. Game of Love – new project of M. Rochowski, Mark Vera. Synth parts amazing thing in this song. Powerful, strong and spacey. With very nice girl voice. Good song
Maybe title little bit… but…
2. No Remorse – I many times said it before and can repeat it again. Intro is strong side of this guy. They spacey, melodic. We just must wait for his album.
3. Departure Gate – one more fast tempo, strong synth and spacey song from mindxpander team. What me annoying little bit part from 1:20. The bell sound nice too. And u just must listen part from 3:05 it’s unreal, just feel deepness of space. This part is one of the best what I ever hear in music. Nice job.
4. Voyage to the Stars – new face in spacesynth world. I must admit very nice synth part. Song sound very melodic. Very easy soundness, only hard parts is drums. And even vocals sound not annoying. Good beginning.
5. It’s just the Music – Based on Bass reborn. And must say, in wrong place. It sounded more dancy then spacey. Only some little parts sound not bad, but they sounded so weak, that it hard even notice. Average song.
6. Titan Warriors – seconds Lauri song. As always intro made prefect. Leading synths part made nice. But part from 1:15 until 1:25 was not much in my taste. Intro part made interesting and nice. I liked most part from 3:10 until 3:30. Nice job.
7. Between the Asteroids – this is the second this artist song and his first song were one of the best in album. So what we find this time? Drums sounded powerful and strong synth, but made them in very nice composition. Good part. I think this song sound even better then his first. Only one thing must notice. I miss little bit more spacey atmosphere. I little bit too much hardness here.
8. Bottes Vernal Dance – one more song from Haggeman. This time you don’t hear his usual well made vocals. But instead u hears nice made synths. I think variation on synth melodies and is strong part of this song. Nice job.
9. Time – one more song from H. Robertson. This time he made better song, then as “Based on Bass” I can feel spacey melody. If with synth is everything Ok, about rest can’t said that. I don’t liked vocals and drums… drums for me sounded somehow “empty”.
10. Space Town – one more new face with so sort song…Rest, can’t say much good. Song sound very muted, it got some good moments. But at all is average.
11. In Cyber Space – second song from Jan Schipper. And this time he made nice sounded song. It got different style from his first song, and this means that he got nice ideas. Waiting more song from u Jan.
12. Endless Trip – third song from H. Robertson. It starts with action and without intro. Interesting idea. No, vocals not strong H. Robertson side. All song sound somehow chaotic, but it’s not minus it gives more positive points. Because song sound not so boring. What annoying me, that it sound repetitive. Maybe missing slow intro?