This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Message





Post Post #4782
I don't want to go into pointless arguing with you, since it seems we have different points of view.
In any case, the last word belongs to site admins Smile They will do what they consider is right.
Back to top
Reply with quote

Guest



Post Post #4784
Quote:

Also we must understand that only a little number of the visitors of this site is posting anything at all on the musicians corner (havn't seen the statistics, but I guess that's the case). Many visitors are probably not even registered. So I guess that having a requirement that songs are reviewed before they are published would mean there will be an even


I got Idea...
OK, lets make peace this way that we have guestbook where everyone can write "hello, I was here" and also write a spacesynth melody as its signature. Smile Musical guestbook. ? So, to avoid spam its different problem, but we can avoid it so that if you want to make comment, then you must upload some sequencer or MIDI file. or something like that.
Its guestbook for those who want to send his/hers music too and not just only write.

Quote:

I find it would be natural to use the free music section as a place to release mp3-music. The real quality stuff can go to the labels. Today the free music section is almost not used at all.


Its dangerous. In that case it will end up perhaps sometimes that just "using" community for developmend and
taking more and giving less...

No no no, it will be very sad if __ALL__ real quality stuff goes to the labels. Thats a big no no. If we are going this way that "we develop in music corner and later we will post the final version through the label" then....... dont you think that sometimes its better to show the final result also as free, when you got free critics? Smile Well. you can make 2..5 years work on 1 album and release it, and then you will hear later critics. In musicians corner you can have critics while developing song. The free spacesynth music you can find mikseri.net site. The authors will publish their tracks there usually. So far I discovered quite fresh Ladeon song also uploaded in this year January. Wink

whatever! if we are talking about labels in spacesynth music genre then there is Hypersound (or it WAS, becouse not adding new artists) and now Alpha Centauri.

I already made for myself the point that I am not future Jarre or Klaus Schulze and if I will release anything
good and so good that it will be as album then perhaps there are only few interesting song perhaps what is propably label quality. If to talk about it as abstract way then how big are the royalties? Perhaps I will get some royalties so that its less than 1 synth money, but song (and time spent for it) is more worth. In that case I consider to release it as free.
Releasing it as free has different and underground audience what I am searching for.

Well... I dont know, perhaps 5 years later I change my mind, but so far I am very positive about free music section, that quality stuff can be also as free music.

Everyone can have its own label perhaps and it is not dependant of the song overall quality?
Back to top
Reply with quote





Post Post #4785
SX001 wrote:
Quote:

I find it would be natural to use the free music section as a place to release mp3-music. The real quality stuff can go to the labels. Today the free music section is almost not used at all.


Its dangerous. In that case it will end up perhaps sometimes that just "using" community for developmend and
taking more and giving less...


It cannot be dangerous to use the page as it's intended to be used.

Quote: "This section includes music that have been composed by the visitors of this site. We are interested to get more songs in this area, and if you have some material that you would like to see here, then contact us on the links in the About-page."

And obviously it's giving, and not taking, to send songs to spacesynth.net.

If the intention is only having a song reviewed, it's easier to publish it on musicians corner. But if it's concidered finished and serious by the artist, then the free music section should be a better place.

Of course the songs on spacesynth.net free section should be finished, and the artists should have done their best with them. It's up to the webmasters to sort out things that are only crap. There can be an interest of having the song possible for download. If people are only using private pages, like on mixery, it's hard to find the songs. Also there's a risk they take their songs away.


SX001 wrote:
No no no, it will be very sad if __ALL__ real quality stuff goes to the labels.


My point is that if there are only high quality songs on the free music section, it scares new artists away and it can lead to a bad development (because there will be to few songs, in the long run not many new ideas). If artists see that they can have their songs on that page they might be more motivated to make new songs.
Back to top
Reply with quote

Guest



Post Post #4789
Quote:
.......Also there's a risk they take their songs away.

hehee.. got the point Wink
But homepages are taken away... I miss this Lundqvist homepage. If I had idea that internet is going so old rapidly then I just had archived his webpage with contents. Razz

Quote:

SX001 wrote:
No no no, it will be very sad if __ALL__ real quality stuff goes to the labels.


My point is that if there are only high quality songs on the free music section, it scares new artists away and it can lead to a bad development (because there will be to few songs, in the long run not many new ideas). If artists see that they can have their songs on that page they might be more motivated to make new songs.


If average and not so good quality spacesynth are listed on free music section and their development is listed on musicians corner and final the delicious result is only released on commercial CD then how many people will associate the last result with free music section? I dont. The same is that if average spacesynth is listed on free music section and high quality music is listed on label catalogue... it can also make think that you CANT make it so good as commercial product quality. Ok, atleast __some__ high quality songs must be always in free music section also. High quality spacesynth making is not so hard if you just show it step by step.


If it is so big quality then why not to make description also how much work it required, what is artist background etc...and hardware/software becouse then it will not be surprise that you need sometimes quite big hardware collection like Laserdance artists used (and now some musicians in forum have the similar setup for now! Wink ), In the beginning I had no idea how much hardware and what is needed to make Laserdance sound.
Fortunately there is also article in forum that how to make spacesynth with just some utilities and it is even more surprising and it can give for beginners the hint that all you need is to develop.

hu haah... yes, this is very difficult problem indeed. Perhaps there must be note in free music section that "your song not sounding as expected? Visit musicians corner." Becouse there are lots of those samples of half-made work. Actually there is not much needed to make great song and also have high quality. By the way, just if you have the similar equipment you can make the same songs as the tutorial song. The most difficult problem perhaps is that how to mix the tracks and so far it needs really really hard work and intensive learning. Perhaps we can make online "teach yourself in spacesynth with 21 months" (not in 21 days as the remaining bookseries) or "spacesynth for dummies" book while just more adding and making reference of all the forum. We have lots of learning material here and problem solutions online. First step perhaps is to make some summary and reference of it. Perhaps beginnes dont hesitate to ask simple questions while this forum is sometimes filled with intermediate level problems (then will arise the question "where can I post simple questions?").
The reason why I atlast signed up, was Lauri's one letter in forum about some demoscene artists music and this was the topic what for I was capable to help (I remember this feeling quite well). But in IRC #spacesynth all seems ok.

ok, from the scratch......
So far if you just show for beginner just step by step, adding tracks one by one how to make just the "Cocoon" or similar song then it is not so difficult, but at first it will just scare away if beginner will hear it as whole. For THIS purpose -- song development different phases -- the musicians corner should be ideal. You can listen the previous development versions and the last final version. Wink

More about "all high quality spacesynth for labels" subtopic... when ss.net released rare Marcho Rochowsky tracks it was very unique in this history and very great. And Gustaf new track publishing here which is the similar event. This kind of events are very very refreshing. The way how you get the music... this is interesting. When just ordering CDs it will be at one moment just get annoying. Releasing tracks this way in certain periods etc... it is so unique that it cant be compared with this feeling when just ordering new album and listening it and giving then some feedback or so. By the way, perhaps in future there will be some concert. Smile

By the way, it is in demoscene that you can just upload whatever you wish almost when releasing your musicdisks.
Back to top
Reply with quote

Guest



Post Post #4790
Tobias wrote:

And obviously it's giving, and not taking, to send songs to spacesynth.net.

If the intention is only having a song reviewed, it's easier to publish it on musicians corner. But if it's concidered finished and serious by the artist, then the free music section should be a better place.


about taking more than giving I thought this that someone send songs for musicians corner to review but the final result is published commercially ( but its his/hers own free choice anyway ). But of course, if not so quality track is told as finished by the author then why not to publish it also. . . I think that the whole development phase will be very interesting to see how to make magic crackers with cheese. (It can be perhaps atleast so amusing as I have shown to friends how their faulty electronic device repairing, tuning up, and final testing looks like with oscilloscopes and freq. generators and other instruments which are for them very complex at first. Wink )


But something must be somehow relaxed though...

Tobias wrote:

If people are only using private pages, like on mixery, it's hard to find the songs.


Perhaps I am not the only one who makes systematic search.
I periodically make search in mikseri too. Systematic search. Just after every 3..4 months I search all those places where I got last time music and have found music. Wink
Back to top
Reply with quote





Post Post #4791
SX001 wrote:
Ok, atleast __some__ high quality songs must be always in free music


It's natural that real quality music goes to real labels. If someone wants to give quality music to the free-music section it's only good. Noone have ever been against it. So that thing we don't have to debate more I hope.

SX001 wrote:
High quality spacesynth making is not so hard if you just show it step by step.


It's probably quite difficult to make high quality music, no matter which style it is. And if you want to do new things, noone can show you before how to do.

SX001 wrote:
Actually there is not much needed to make great song and also have high quality.


I don't have that view of music. To me making music also means making something new and interesting, and that's almost always somewhat difficult.

SX001 wrote:
Perhaps I am not the only one who makes systematic search. I periodically make search in mikseri too.


Not everyone have time with that. Many new users will not find those pages so easy.
Back to top
Reply with quote

Guest



Post Post #4792
welcome again. it seems that we are having discussion.

Tobias wrote:
SX001 wrote:
Ok, atleast __some__ high quality songs must be always in free music


It's natural that real quality music goes to real labels. If someone wants to give quality music to the free-music section it's only good. Noone have ever been against it. So that thing we don't have to debate more I hope.


OK Smile


Tobias wrote:


SX001 wrote:
High quality spacesynth making is not so hard if you just show it step by step.


It's probably quite difficult to make high quality music, no matter which style it is. And if you want to do new things, noone can show you before how to do.



I just thought about showing how to make __spacesynth__. In this area we can find several people who are living
perhaps also in neighbourhood Very Happy For this purpose ss.net / ss.de is very good also.
If you dont have someone experienced in neighbourhood then for this the internet is quite good and you can find someone who shows. But with _new_ things... well well...

Tobias wrote:

SX001 wrote:
Actually there is not much needed to make great song and also have high quality.


I don't have that view of music. To me making music also means making something new and interesting, and that's almost always somewhat difficult.



in this point that I thought there is not needed too much hardware or software .... Smile

About music making.
For me music creating is fun, and its never too hard, but I would say hard enough to try again continuously sometimes but it surprises me often than expected. It will make some dreampictures and it offers great emotional satisfaction whatever if I will just make remix of the song or just my new song itself. And if I want to write down the idea what I just heard from my dream (melody, somewhat exotic synthesizer sound synthesizing etc.) then it is not difficult, its like developing challenge. But sometimes not solved in a week even.


Heh, just take it this way "there is not much required to be spacehacker: to know synthesizers and from which synthesizer any sound will come (synthesizer sound characteristics), sci-fi films and electronic music history knowledge, spacemusic theory, astronomy, sound synthesis, recognize all spacesynth songs, musical creative skills and if you dont actually have the spaceship then you should have atleast spaceship model which will _remind_ you the future spaceship for you. And you often feel like spacecreature or there are some aliens trying continuously making
contact with you ....[add here something more to characterize more this spacehacker]...." Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But who said that lovely and very interesting things will be easy always? Smile



Tobias wrote:

SX001 wrote:
Perhaps I am not the only one who makes systematic search. I periodically make search in mikseri too.

Not everyone have time with that. Many new users will not find those pages so easy.


well well... making them handy makes better. But do we have always the room in servers to publish ALL songs and
tutorial materials? Just links to related music pages will work also if capacity is the problem. So far its not much to
visit up to 10 links in mikseri.net and also ss.net plus ss.de.
For me the problem also was global sharing server file links too short expiring time period and so I could not find out what was it actually what they were talking about.
Back to top
Reply with quote

Master Droid



Post Post #4795
Tobias wrote:
Not everyone have time with that. Many new users will not find those pages so easy.


Some people on Mikseri, like Dreamtime, Mekano-Energy, and Spacevision, have links to other Mikseri spacesynth artists running across the top of their pages, and I can tell you from my experience as a "spacesynth newbie" that those are quite helpful in hopping around and finding more artists and music. It's also possible to just run a search for every song in the spacesynth genre on Mikseri.

Regarding the free music section issue, I think the existence of file-hosting sites like SpeedyShare simplify the problem, because if you want to post a clip or even a "low-quality" song, you don't have to have your own website in order to upload the song to the web. The only disadvantage is that the files on such sites generally disappear after a month or two. As things stand, though, I think it's better to have polished stuff in the free music section, the music we're showing off to other people, and keep things that are "in the works" in the Musician's Corner or on personal music pages or whatever. Maybe if someone reaches a benchmark, like getting an offer from a record label or their songs generally get compliments from most people (particularly the site admins), then they could post their music on SS.net's official free music section. Another option might be to have a "Beginner's Music Section" on SS.net for people to try things out, but that's up to the people who run the site.

SX001 wrote:
...and if you dont actually have the spaceship then you should have atleast spaceship model which will _remind_ you the future spaceship for you.


Haha, I like the analogy. Smile
_________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." ~ Groucho Marx
Back to top
Reply with quote





Post Post #4798
TD Mak wrote:
Regarding the free music section issue, I think the existence of file-hosting sites like SpeedyShare simplify the problem, because if you want to post a clip or even a "low-quality" song, you don't have to have your own website in order to upload the song to the web. The only disadvantage is that the files on such sites generally disappear after a month or two. As things stand, though, I think it's better to have polished stuff in the free music section, the music we're showing off to other people, and keep things that are "in the works" in the Musician's Corner or on personal music pages or whatever.


Tobias wrote:
Of course the songs on spacesynth.net free section should be finished, and the artists should have done their best with them. It's up to the webmasters to sort out things that are only crap.


Let's say in a couple of years. Wouldn't it be better to have a large free section instead of dying mixery pages and dead links to speedyshare? What if the artists of spacesynth.de did in the same way. It would be a pity to only find a bunch of dead links instead of a large library of free songs.

I hope I'm not the only one that wants to put the free music page in use. I'm surprised of finding so much resistance to that idea.
Back to top
Reply with quote





Post Post #4800
SX001 wrote:
Tobias wrote:
I find no problem in having beginners tunes in the free music section. It's good if it's a bit relaxed. In other case we would have the situation that noone sends in any songs. If there are only songs by very established artists people might think things like "my songs aren't good enough, I'll wait with posting".


For song development there is a musicians corner, I guess. Those ones who can make constructive critics, will respond.

Fairlane, if you get too less feedbacks then dont be afraid. Its not polite saying "its crap", becouse perhaps only
few members downloaded it?
When I uploaded my first song (quite long time ago) then I got for song 4 feedbacks, but only 12 downloads. And its quite good result of feedback/download ratio. Wink


Smile Sometimes main thing is create talk, good or bad. Of course it is nice to seen download counter running wild, and it is a nice to see also comments, total silence might be the worst case.

I like to hear songs made by Krizz, link to homepage lead to somewhere...

[Update] found a link to Krizz album page, and also mikseri page. I Still looking SS stylish tracks, not Ambient like soundscapes...
Back to top
Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Display posts from previous:   
Access Panel
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001-2005 phpBB Group - 0.093128