This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Post #14522
Nice rig there, Lauri! And i know as well that installing and filemanagement is a HUGE timeconsumer. Smile

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #14536
Lauri, that's a nice setup you have there. What soundcard do you use nowadays ? Internal or external ?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #14538
I still use ESI ESP1010, PCI card with a breakout box. It's been solid.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15046
My new music computer is finally up and running and now I'm looking forward to start composing music again.

This time I was looking for a smaller computer than my old one and therefore I chose a microATX motherboard. I bought Lan Gear's case DaBox 100 Classic which I'm very satisfied with even though it was a little challenge to fit the big CPU cooler inside the small case.

Here is a list of the parts that I bought in case someone is interested to build a similar PC:
- Case: Lan Gear DaBox 100 Classic
- CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow
- CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K
- Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M Pro B3
- SSD: Crucial M4 SATA 6Gb/s (512GB + 128GB)
- Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1200mm x2 + Thermalright TR TY-140900
- GFX: ASUS Nvidia GT520 Silent (no fans)
- PSU: Corsair AX 750W
- DDR3: Kingston 1333MHz 4x4GB
- Soundcard: MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid (Firewire)

The fans on the CPU cooler are 140mm and the computer became very silent and so far the temperature on the motherboard hasn't been higher than 31C. Here are some pictures of the DaBox:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2xsbm0

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15060
That looks like a nice compact piece of computer hardware, Staffan. And powerful too. Is the SSD much faster to work with?

I got myself Native Instruments Komplete 8 this week. Soooo much stuff to explore.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15061
Some people store their OS on a small SSD and keep the programs on a ordinary harddisk, but in my case I prefer to have everything on SSD. When I compose music I usually don't spend much time to try to make new patches. Instead I browse through the factory presets to find new sounds and in those situations the SSD is a brilliant thing. For example while testing the patches in Atmosphere which took a couple of seconds to load with the old PATA-harddisk that I had. The SSD and the new SATA controller are great, just look at youtube to see the time differences compared with ordinary harddisks.

Komplete 8 is impressive. I'm reading the product information right now and realize that it must take quite some time for you to install all that. Lots of interesting things to go through. It seems like you have a nice time in front of you.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15064
Staffan wrote:
Komplete 8 is impressive. I'm reading the product information right now and realize that it must take quite some time for you to install all that. Lots of interesting things to go through. It seems like you have a nice time in front of you.

Yeah, it took several hours to install. It comes with a vast library of samples. Over 70 gb actually. Good bang for the buck. Staffan, now that you have a fast computer I suggest you to take a look at Omnisphere which is leaps forward from Atmosphere.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15065
Yes, I bought my previous computer back in 2002 so the new one is a giant step ahead. Omnisphere seems to have useful sounds for many genres and I will think about that. As the sounds in Omnisphere are quite large I wonder if it is time to go to 64 bit (ie. Cubase 6).

Is Cubase 6 running without any problem for you or do you have conflicts with some of your old VSTis (synth1, superwaveP8, etc) ? Or do you use those old VSTis any longer ?

I'm thinking about buying a microphone as my new soundcard has got a mic preamp. What kind of microphone do you use ?

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15066
Staffan wrote:
Yes, I bought my previous computer back in 2002 so the new one is a giant step ahead. Omnisphere seems to have useful sounds for many genres and I will think about that. As the sounds in Omnisphere are quite large I wonder if it is time to go to 64 bit (ie. Cubase 6).

Is Cubase 6 running without any problem for you or do you have conflicts with some of your old VSTis (synth1, superwaveP8, etc) ? Or do you use those old VSTis any longer ?

Oh, you should definitely go to 64-bit. Cubase 6 has been solid for me. Some older 32-bit VST's don't work properly but I get along without them because the list of 64-bit plugins keeps getting longer and longer.

Right now my main plugins are:

- Omnisphere, Camel Audio Alchemy, Komplete 8
- U-he Uhbik, ValhallaRoom, RP-Delay, Fabfilter Timeless/Volcano/Pro-C, TAL plugins, DNR MixControl, Ozone 4, Universal Audio UAD-1 plugins..

With these I'm covered software-wise. To be honest, there's more than enough when it comes to synth sounds.

Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a microphone as my new soundcard has got a mic preamp. What kind of microphone do you use ?

I have a Rode NT1a. A solid all arounder and not too expensive.

[Retired Droid]

Post Post #15068
Maybe some of you already know this, but for those who are wondering whether it is possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, there is at least quite satisfying solution to this problem:jBridge. At least in most cases, I guess.

What comes to me, Renoise is still 32bit application (Windows) and I'm waiting for the 64bit version developement. At soon as it is out, I will switch to it and with jBridge I want to keep the most favorite synths and patches running on my setup, too.

My current setup has two dual core computers that both runs Renoise: the older main music computer with all the hardware, and a new laptop. What I like about the laptop is that I'm free to go composing anywhere (I can use QWERTY-keys with Renoise). The finishing, mixing and mastering stages are handled via my old big "bad" computer, of course (contains all the stuff I need).

Last edited by Everdune on 2011-09-18, 5:33; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Access Panel
Jump to: